Wednesday 4 June 2014

Developing the plan

There were two main elements of the Nolli plan which inspired me in my design:

  • The streets - form arteries which connect all buildings, both public and private.  Originally I imagined placing all the rooms in one single building, but I thought instead I could have several buildings linked by a public walkway (the 'street' of my design), allowing the public to interact with the building.
  • The Pantheon - a major civic centre of Rome, a public space. It is in the centre of the map, highlighting its importance.  I thought about what part of the university is really important to me, and the answer came to me instantly: the library.  The library is a place of knowledge and learning, and again will be a public space.  
Original trace of the Nolli plans
Revised section


No comments:

Post a Comment