Wednesday 12 March 2014

A piece of great architecture.

   
My next task is to post some great architecture, and I must admit, I have been deliberating what to post for a while.  I considered posting Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater, but then I realised that other people have probably posted it already.  I thought about what buildings are inspiring to me as an aspiring architect, and in the end, I've decided to do something a little unconventional.  Instead of posting a building which is already in existance, I've decided to post an unbuilt proposal because it's a design which really speaks to me.  This design by Swiss and Melbournean architecture firm HASSELL, Herzog & De Meuron was the winner of a design ideas competition to rejuvinate Melbourne's iconic Flinders Street Station.  This design left the original facade intact, but remodelled the platorm space and included the addition of a gallery and ampitheatre.  There are so many things I liked about this design, mainly being the way it respects the history of the present station but adds life to the area through the new additions.  The geometric motifs of the roof in the new platform area are reminiscent of Art Deco designs, again relating to history, but they also serve the function of letting light into the space.  I also like the way the roof arches vanish away into a single point, similar to the way a speeding train vanishes off into the distance.  

Melbourne CBD and Flinders Street aerial 
Melbourne CBD and Flinders Street aerial 
Melbourne CBD and Flinders Street aerial 
Melbourne CBD and Flinders Street aerial



 

No comments:

Post a Comment