Wednesday 19 March 2014

Week 2 - The Stair





Here is the section I worked on last week.  The top floor is based on 'wood', the basement is based on 'geometric.'



The first set of stairs I designed for this building went from the basement to the ground floor.  I was obviously insprired by the geometric theme of the basement when I designed these stairs.  The spheres which replace the handrail were based on walking poles, and are designed to hoist the user up the stairs while the person's hand remains in the same position.  I don't know why, but this design almost feels postmodern to me. 




The next set of stairs are more abstract.  I was inspired by the 'trippy stairs' I found on Design Milk (see http://design-milk.com/trippy-stairs/ for images).  I liked the idea of the stairs all being connected to a central point, much in the way the roots of a tree all come from the central 'tap root'.  This also fits well with the top floor's design, which was based on a rainforest canopy.


No comments:

Post a Comment